Friday, September 07, 2007

Thank You Lord



I think we've finally gotten over this cold/respiratory thing. For the last week and a half, a mild summer cold had turned into an upper respiratory disaster. Josh became more and more miserable until finally the doc visit and then he hit the basement in health. Why the hell is that? Possibly his fragile immune system just picked up more nasty germs in the doctor's office. I don't know. But my child had a temp of 102 and was extremely lethargic. He wasn't himself at all! It was the scariest moment I've ever had with him yet. All he wanted to do was sit in my lap and put his little head on my chest. His breathing was labored and he just looked exhausted from trying.


So, of course I did everything in my power and training to make him feel better. At any point if his temp went up a half a degree I was taking him to the ER. But it never did. I know in my heart of hearts the first thing any parent would do is run to the ER. But, as a nurse I know the parameters of what is considered a pediatric emergency and what's not. Unfortunately after auscultating his lungs and taking his vital signs myself, Joshua's case would find us sitting in a germy ER, then getting sent home with nothing but pats on the back and "see your pediatrician in the morning 'shpiel' (sp?)" So, I sat in our small closet of a bathroom with the shower on hot, sitting on the 'john' with Joshua in my arms and telling him to "breathe baby, breathe in the steam, Lord God help my baby". Gave him the Albuterol medicine and a dose of tylenol and watched him, all night long. The next morning, no fever and he was in better spirits. Gradually as the day pressed on, the sick Joshua melted away and the smiley, playful baby reappeared. The day after that, himself again. At breakfast he vomited a wad of mucous. Wonder where all that phlegm they swallow goes? Now you know, loose stools and vomit. Oh, trust me, I'm not done watching him like a Mama hawk.


So two days of calling out from work and many nights of lost sleep, tossing and turning, coughing and gagging, here we are. I pray this is the end!

No comments: