Monday, August 20, 2007

What's in the milk man?








Again, we are confronted with more food issues. The struggle continues with getting Joshua to eat as well as he used to. Each meal is a surprise whether we'll get cooperation from him or a tantrum. We've removed the high chair table to prevent feelings of confinement. I've pushed the high chair up to the table so he feels like a big boy. Joe has even put him on his lap to get him to eat better. I believe it's beyond teething that's the problem.

Furthermore, I've changed milk formula this week. The nursing ended at around 6 months. Joshua just stopped wanting the breast and my production slowed down. So prior to this any supplementing we used Enfamil Lipil. Never had any stomach problems and he never was the throwing up type. It worked so we stuck to it. Well, I switched to the formula for older babiew Enfamil Lipil Next Step. He drinks it down like the other milk but I've noticed his stools have been smellier and looser, with even a lighter color! I'm wondering if the higher iron content is causing the problem. Usually it'll make the stools tighter rather than loose but in Joshua it's done the opposite. Also he's had a nasty cold with coughing and a runny nose, no fever. So the combination of the two may be causing the loose bowel movements. Other than that he's a happy baby. Activity hasn't changed and he crawls around more and more each day.
I'll have to keep investigating before I finally decide to take him back to the pediatrician.

Speaking of the pediatrician, one of the down sides of being a nurse and the pediatrician knowing it, is that things aren't always explained fully. Now I'm a labor and delivery nurse first, a well baby and post partum nurse second, but I'm NOT a pediatric nurse so I don't know everything about baby development. At times I need a little extra explanation which she fails to do. Last visit, I almost felt rushed. If it happens again, I'll have to let her know my feelings or maybe even change doctors which I'd hate to do because technically she is quite smart. She's young and she keeps up on the latest in child care. But, we'll see.

On a lighter note, I'm still working on my baby's invites to his party. I'm making them myself and it's take longer than I expected. I'm glad I started early. And I've really gone overboard on the pirate theme. Oriental Trading Co. will be getting another big order from me within the next week or two. I want to make sure the house is fully decorated in Halloween and Pirate stuff galore! I think I'm more excited than Joshua (of course he'll probably never remember being so young). But this will be a family tradition, Joshua's big birthday/halloween party! I love it. We must purchase a camcorder. Financially we haven't been able to afford it so a moving cdocumentary of his first months wasn't a possibility, but stills we have plenty. Scrapbooking, card stamping and recording is my passion.




No comments: